Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie has a light custard filing nestled into your favorite pie crust with a crunchy sugary coating on the top. Tastes similar to crème brûlée with half the effort. Enjoy chilled or room temperature!Print
A Pie As Sweet As Hoosiers!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- 1 12-inch crust to fit 9-inch pie pan
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 5 Tbsp & 1 Tsp All Purpose Flour
- Dash of Salt
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Cold Butter (cut into pea sized pieces)
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Granulated Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F with rack placed in center of oven.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with crust. Set aside in refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt until well blended. Using whisk make sure lumps are broken down. Add 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and mix well without beating or whipping. Set aside.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, combine the 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, egg yolks and vanilla mixing well. Taking care not to over mix.
- Then, pour the egg yolk mixture into the large bowl sugar mixture and blend together well – do not beat.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator. Pour the mixture into the crust and place butter pieces evenly around the top of the pie.
- Place filled pie pan in oven on center rack of heated oven. Bake for 40 minutes and then sprinkle top with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- Continue baking for approximately 20 more minutes or until top is bubbling for a solid 10 minutes. After about an hour of cook time, carefully check the pie by wiggling the edges of the pie plate. If the pie is still loose in the center continue cooking. Should have a jello-esque jiggle when baking is complete.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting. Allowing pie to set.
We let the pie cool on the counter and then chill in refrigerator before slicing.
Our go-to pie crust is Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust, in the red box (Not sponsored).