Love at First Bite
South Shore Kitchen is bringing you a recipe you never knew you needed but it will be love at first bite. That’s right, the chili cheese dog pizza! Not just any chili cheese dog pizza but one that can be made in about 30 minutes. Starting with a soft and chewy crust, layered with your favorite chili recipe, hot dog strips, onions, jalapenos, and topped with a cheddar cheese. For us it is the ultimate junk food treat.
We completely understand your opinion on trying this recipe will fall into one of two categories either ewww or awesome. If you are firmly in the ewww category, we hear you, we know you and would have stood with you in solidarity, but it is amazing! Two thirds of us aren’t even hot dog people but as a team we are all now 100% on board with this whole chili dog pizza thing.
South Shore Kitchen was recently presented with the idea for chili cheese dog pizza and by presented, I mean my brother said it would be a good idea and we were like no hecking way! We are not doing that, but he was persuasive, we had a big container of chili that needed to get used up and Mama M loves nothing more than coming up with a new dough recipe. So, we gave it a go and the results were glorious!
Breaking the Mold
We are in love with our soft, chewy pizza crust that has enough structure to be able to support all your toppings without getting soggy. It’s a super easy yeast dough without all the fuss of waiting for it to rise. If you are living that last-minute life this one’s for you. Once you mix up the dough it only needs to rest for about five minutes.
Instead of sauce you will be using your favorite chili. We used a meat and bean style chili that was leftover in the fridge. If you are doing the same, we suggest cooking your chili down to reduce the liquid. You don’t want it to be soupy and end up with a soggy crust. If you have a favorite canned chili you may also use that. It’s up to you.
In our opinion it is best to slice your hot dog in strips rather than cutting into coins for an even balance of hot dog to chili ratio in each bite. Cut hot dogs in half lengthwise, cut each half into 4-6 long strips and then cut all the strips in half crosswise. There really isn’t anything to mess up here, make some strips that are of a manageable size for eating.
Does Size Matter?
We think so, for this recipe we made mini pizzas for two reasons. First and most importantly, we wanted there to be a lot of crust to support the weight of the toppings and not get soggy with the chili. Our dough was pressed out to about 8 inches in diameter and it was a perfect size. Second, in the process of trying out our recipe we unexpectedly found ourselves feeding a crowd. Here’s
a hot tip for you, if you are making pizzas but are short on topping ingredients go for a personal pizza size. You can make 6 personal sized pizzas with the same amount of dough as a large pizza and 1/3 less ingredients.
We used personal sized pizza pans with perforated bottoms. If you don’t have holes in the bottom of your pan use a fork to pierce holes in your pizza dough once it has been formed. No small pans? No problem, you can shape your crusts into the size you want and place them on a sheet pan.Print
Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
Pizza Crust Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp rapid rise yeast or 1 packet
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 o F)
- 2 ½ cups bread flour (we used king Arthur)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3–4 cups leftover chili that has been cooked down
- ½ – ¾ cup onions, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2–3 hot dogs cut into thick julienned strips
- Preheat oven to 450° F
- In the mixing bowl of stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Let sit until yeast has been activated.
- Once yeast is frothy, add flour, olive oil, and salt. Mix with dough hook on #2 speed or low-medium for 5 minutes.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl, divide into 6 balls, and let rest for 5 minutes on baking sheet.
- Hand form each ball of dough into a circle, then press the dough from the center outward, working in a circular motion. You’re working the air out of the center of your dough and towards the edges. This is what will give you a nice crust around your pizza.
- Once you have your crusts prepared, you will top them with a layer of chili.
- Sprinkle on your toppings starting with the hotdog pieces, cover with a layer of cheddar and mozzarella cheese blend. Finish off with onions and jalapenos.
- Place pizzas in oven on bottom rack, bake for 10 minutes and then move to top rack to finish baking for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown.