With summer weather in full swing we have been working a new twist on an old favorite. Everywhere you look coleslaw is being served up. The perfect creamy topping for a smoked pulled pork sandwich or just the right side for burgers on the grill. Honestly, it is great just to eat. At the South Shore Kitchen, we came up with a creamy cilantro coleslaw that is the best. Yes, everyone says their recipes are the best, but we have served this dish up to quite a few taste testers and even the pickiest of the bunch are loving it. Cabbage coated in creamy cool mayo that has been mixed up with a healthy dose of cilantro, citrus juices, and our knockout ingredient……freshly grated ginger!
Yes, the ginger really shines through in this recipe! Ginger is one of those ingredients where too much of a good thing will scar you for life. If you have had one of these experiences, be brave, try something new. You will not regret it! In our creamy cilantro coleslaw recipe, the fresh ginger gives a great depth of flavor and balances out the tangy vinegar flavors.
To Chop or Not.
One of our favorite things about this recipe is that you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. If you are looking for quick and easy, grab a bag of precut coleslaw mix in the refrigerator section at your local grocer, add in a few extra ingredients and mix up with our special sauce. If you want to go the extra mile and cut all your ingredients yourself, we get it. With less than 15 minutes of work you will have a creamy batch of cilantro coleslaw chilling in the fridge without even breaking a sweat.
Let us know if you are a creamy coleslaw fan in the comments down below. If you made our recipe @thesouthshorekitchen on Instagram we would love to see how it turned out.Print
Creamy Cilantro Coleslaw
- 5 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 2 Tbsp. Jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- ½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- ½ tap. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. celery seed
- ½ tsp. fresh ginger, grated on a micro plane
- In a large bowl, combine and toss slaw ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir sauce ingredients until combined. Adjust according to taste.
- Add sauce to slaw ingredients and stir.
- Cover bowl with lid and refrigerate for one hour before serving.
Keywords: Coleslaw Summer