Texas Sheet Cake
This is the same cake we use in our chocolate sheet pan mini cakes, a personal favorite of ours!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup milk chocolate chips (we used Guittard 31%)
- 1/8 cup dark chocolate chips (we used Guittard 64% dark)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup Siggi’s Icelandic Skyr Plain (Similar to greek yogurt but way better)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ½ cup butter (can substitute with shortening)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted (yes, really sift your sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour an 18 x 13″ sheet pan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add water, butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and chocolate chips. Stirring occasionally, bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling remove from heat.
- In the meantime, using a medium mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl mix skyr (yogurt), eggs, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add skyr and egg mixture to your flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- At this point your chocolate mixture should be boiling. Remove from heat and pour it into batter. Stir until all ingredients are combined and no lumps remain.
- Pour batter into your prepared sheet pan. Smooth top of cake batter to level out for even baking. Place in oven and bake 15-20 minutes. Ours is done perfectly at 18 minutes every time, but ovens may vary.
- In the last few minutes of the cake baking begin making your frosting. It is essential to pour your frosting straight out of the saucepan and on the cake otherwise the frosting will harden in the pan.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat adding butter, cocoa, milk, and pinch of cinnamon mix until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour over sheet pan cake. Let cool and cut into squares before serving.
Keywords: Sheet cake